Oil on panel
48 x 54 in.
121.9 x 137.2 cm
Signed front lower left: Philip Guston; inscribed front lower right: TO INGIE & TOM; inscribed on reverse: PHILIP GUSTON/ "LANGUAGE II"/ 1973/ OIL ON PANEL/ 48 x 54 (underlined)
- Private Collection
- Gertrude Kasle Gallery, Detroit, MI, "Philip Guston", November 09, 1974 - December 12, 1974
- Hauser & Wirth, Los Angeles, CA, "Resilience: Philip Guston in 1971", September 14, 2019 - January 05, 2020
- Hakanson, Joy. "Guston's World of Paradox." Detroit News, November 11, 1974, illus. in b&w
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston by His Daughter. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1988, mentioned in text p. 197, not illus.
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston. 1988. Reprint, Munich: Sieveking Verlag; Zurich: Hauser & Wirth, 2016, illus. no. 103, illus. in color p. 266
- Philip Guston & The Poets. Exh. cat. Essay by Kosme de Barañano. Hauser & Wirth, 2017, mentioned in text p. 79, not illus.
- Mayer, Musa. Resilience: Philip Guston in 1971. Exh. cat. Zurich: Hauser & Wirth Publishers, 2019, illus. in color p. 47
- Cooper, Harry, Mark Godfrey, Alison de Lima Greene, and Kate Nesin. Philip Guston Now. Exh. cat. Washington D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2020, mentioned in text p. 199, not illus.
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston: A Life Spent Painting. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2020, illus. in color p. 324 as part of an installation photo