Oil on canvas
67 x 79 in.
170.2 x 200.7 cm
Signed front lower right: Philip Guston; inscribed on reverse: PHILIP GUSTON/ "PAINTER'S HAND" [underlined] 1975/ OIL - 67" X 79"
- Private Collection
- IVAM Institut Valencia d’Art Modern, Valencia, Spain, "Philip Guston One-Shot Painting", December 13, 2001 - March 03, 2002 Travelled to:
- Museo Picasso Málaga, Málaga, Spain, "El Factor Grotesco [The Grotesque Factor]", October 22, 2012 - February 10, 2013
- Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany, "Philip Guston - das große Spätwerk", November 06, 2013 - February 02, 2014 Travelled to:
- Hauser & Wirth, New York, NY, "Philip Guston, 1969-1979", September 09, 2021 - October 30, 2021
- Solana, Guillermo. "Philip Guston la alegoria del absurdo." El Cultural (Madrid), December 12–18, 2001, illus. in color pp. 30-31
- de Barañano, Kosme. "El ultimo aliento del Gigante Guston: Una treintena de óleos y varios dibujos-poema iluminan la obra tardía del creador." Masdearte, 2001, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Philip Guston: One-Shot-Paintings/De Un Solo Aliento. Exh. cat. Essays by Kosme de Barañano, Maria Jesus Folch, Fernando Gomez Aguilera, and Manuel Padorno. Valencia: IVAM, 2001. In association with Ediciones Aldeasa, unnumbered catalog, color plate p. 189
- Folch, Maria Jesus. "Los pensamientos visuales de Philip Guston." Arte Contemporaneo, January 2002, pp. 80–83, illus. p. 82 in a photo of Guston in front of the painting in his studio
- Garneria, Jose. "Philip Guston, Expresionismo abstracto?" Las Provincias (Valencia), January 14, 2002,
- van Grevenstein, Alexander. "Philip Guston: The Demos (1973–1979)." Translated by Beth O'Brien. Bonnefanten Magazine, Summer 2002, illus. in color p. 18
- The Grotesque Factor. Exh. cat. Málaga: Málaga Fundación Museo Picasso Málaga, 2012, illus. in color pp. 296-297
- Pfeiffer, Ingrid, and Max Hollein, eds. Philip Guston Das Grosse Spatwerk/Late Works. Exh. cat. Cologne: Strzeleckibooks, 2013, illus. in color p. 40
- Cooper, Harry, Mark Godfrey, Alison de Lima Greene, and Kate Nesin. Philip Guston Now. Exh. cat. Washington D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2020, illus. in color Plate 147 p. 143 and mentioned in text pp. 125, 126, and 217
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston: A Life Spent Painting. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2020, No. 252 illus. in color p. 228, illus. in b&w p. 326 as part of a photo with Guston and mentioned in text p. 209
- Whyte, Murray. "How do you contextualize an artist who captured hate?" Boston Globe, September 16, 2021. Online, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Chui, Vivian. "Philip Guston's Most Controversial Decade of Work." Ocula, September 22, 2021. Online, illus. in color as part of an installation photo
- Yau, John. "Philip Guston's Unblinking Eye." Hyperallergic, September 30, 2021. Online, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Goodman, Jonathan. "Philip Guston, 1969-1979 at Hauser & Wirth, NYC (Video + Photo Story)," Arte Fuse, October 17, 2021. Online, illus. in color as part of an installation photo
- Baker, R.C. "Tragicomic Soothsayer: Philip Guston Rides Again." Village Voice, October 22, 2021. Online., illus. in color and mentioned in text
- Schor, Mira. "Philip Guston." 4Columns, October 22, 2021. Online, illus. in color as part of an installation photo
- Mayer, Musa. Philip Guston. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2021, detail illus. in color on front cover and illus. in color and mentioned in text p. 88
- Frieze. "Philip Guston's Vivid Reflections on the Power of Art." April 28, 2022. Online, illus. in b&w as part of a photograph with Guston