Oil on canvas
68 x 120¼ in.
172.7 x 305.4 cm
Unsigned, undated; inscribed on reverse: PHILIP GUSTON/ "THE NIGHT" (underlined) 1977/ 68 x 120 1/4 (underlined)/ OIL ON CANVAS
- Philadelphia Museum of Art, Bequest of Daniel W. Dietrich II, 2016
- Daniel W. Dietrich II
- Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Fort Worth, TX, "Philip Guston Retrospective", March 30, 2003 - June 08, 2003 Travelled to:
- Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice, Italy, "Philip Guston and the Poets", May 10, 2017 - September 03, 2017
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston. New York: Abbeville Modern Masters, 1986, illus. in color no. 94 p. 89: listed as "Night"; mentioned in text p. 87 as "Night" but listed in index as "The Night"
- Mayer, Musa. Night Studio: A Memoir of Philip Guston by His Daughter. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1988, mentioned in text p. 131, not illus.
- Philip Guston: Retrospectiva de Pintura. Exh. cat. Essays by Mark Rosenthal, Robert Storr, Carrie Rickey, Francisco Calvo Serraller, and Dore Ashton. Madrid: Ministerio de Cultura, Dirección General de Bellas Artes y Archivos, Centro Nacional de Exposiciones, 1989, illus. in b&w p. 77, no. 1 (Carrie Rickey essay), listed as "Night"
- Baker, Kenneth. "Philip Guston's Magnificent Conflicts Yielded Great Controversy. And Some Great Paintings as Well Says Kenneth Baker." San Francisco Chronicle, June 28, 2003, section DateBook, pp. D1, D10, mentioned in text p. D10, not illus.
- Auping, Michael. Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Philip Guston Retrospective. Exh. cat. London: Thames & Hudson, 2003, illus. in color Plate 109, unpaginated, listed as "The Night"
- McCormack, Ed. "Guston by the Book: Solipsistic Riffs, Gonzo Recollections, and Reprobate Ruminations on Art, Aging, and Late-Life Rebirth." Gallery & Studio, June–August 2006, pp. 14–18, illus. in b&w p. 15
- Kaufmann, David. Telling Stories: Philip Guston's Later Works. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2010, mentioned in text p. 49, not illus.
- Miller, Peter Benson, ed. Philip Guston Roma. Exh. cat. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2010, mentioned in text p. 46 (Peter Benson Miller essay), not illus.
- Pfeiffer, Ingrid, and Max Hollein, eds. Philip Guston Das Grosse Spatwerk/Late Works. Exh. cat. Cologne: Strzeleckibooks, 2013, illus. in color fig. 13 p. 24 (Ingrid Pfeiffer essay) and mentioned in text p. 24 (English)/25
- Wullschläger, Jackie. "Star-spangled biennale: Americans shine in Venice." Financial Times (London), May 12, 2017, section Visual Arts, mentioned in text, not illus.
- Art It. "Philip Guston and the Poets @ Gallerie dell'Accademia di Venezia." May 25, 2017. Online, illus. in color as part of an installation photo
- Philip Guston & The Poets. Exh. cat. Essay by Kosme de Barañano. Hauser & Wirth, 2017, illus. in color pp. 52-53
- Cooper, Harry, Mark Godfrey, Alison de Lima Greene, and Kate Nesin. Philip Guston Now. Exh. cat. Washington D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2020, mentioned in text p. 200, not illus.
- Storr, Robert. Philip Guston: A Life Spent Painting. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2020, No. 177 illus. in color p. 171 and mentioned in text p. 165
- Storr, Robert. Writings on Art: 1980-2005. London: HENI, 2020, mentioned in text p. 510, not illus.